Swell Staff Header Photo



The Department of Chemistry affirms the University’s commitment to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment. The department is deeply committed to fostering an environment where every individual has the opportunity to thrive. The UNC policy on prohibited discrimination, harassment, and related misconduct including sexual and gender-based harassment, sexual violence, and stalking can be found here.

Graduate students or postdoctoral scholars that feel uncomfortable in the laboratory or department for any reason are encouraged to act to resolve the situation. A range of resources, including SWELL committee members, is available. These resources can help identify appropriate actions to take.


Discrimination, Harassment, and Related Misconduct

If you have experienced discrimination, harassment, sexual violence, interpersonal violence, or stalking, consider making a report to the University. Reporting provides you with the option of addressing the incident through the University’s Policy on Prohibited Discrimination, Harassment and Related Misconduct. Reporting also provides you with the option of taking advantage of protective measures such as academic accommodations, changes to housing, and changes to class or work schedules.

Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Scholar Responsibilities

All members of the department should strive to uphold a safe and inclusive community free from harassment and discrimination. Most graduate students and postdoctoral scholars are not required to make a report. If you see something, however, talk to the affected person and consider making a report. The Safe at UNC website has tips on how to support people affected by harassment or discrimination.

Faculty Responsibilities

Some faculty have the same moral responsibilities as the rest of University community. Information on how faculty can help support UNC’s goal of maintaining and safe and inclusive environment can be found here.

Some faculty are designated Responsible Employees. The University is required to identify Responsible Employees in order to comply with Title IX and the University’s Policy on Prohibited Discrimination, Harassment and Related Misconduct, the Policy. The criteria for who must be designated as a Responsible Employee is outlined in guidance from the federal government, and it includes any employee: who has the authority to take action to redress sexual violence; who has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual violence or any other misconduct by students to the Title IX coordinator or other appropriate school designee; or whom a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.

More details on Responsible Employees can be found here and also here.


The Reporting Process

Members of the UNC community have several options for action after misconduct has occurred.

Where do I go and what happens when I want to…?

Discuss My Options

Where can I go?
  • Gender Violence Services Coordinators
  • Report and Response Coordinators
What can I expect?

A conversation about available reporting options, including law enforcement, the University, and court orders. Interim protective measures (e.g., changes to housing, academic accommodations such as rescheduling exams, and changes to work schedules) will also be discussed.

Speaking with the Gender Violence Services Coordinators does not notify the University that an incident occurred. Speaking with the Report and Response Coordinators notifies necessary University staff of the incident, but you are not required to decide on any particular course of action at that time.

Report to Law Enforcement

Where can I go?
  • UNC Police Department
  • Local law enforcement agencies (e.g., Carrboro PD, Chapel Hill PD, and Orange County Sheriffs Office)
What can I expect?

If it’s an emergency and you call 911, law enforcement can provide protection and initiate a criminal investigation. If you call 911 on campus, UNC Police will respond. For non-emergency situations, call local law enforcement or UNC Police’s non-emergency number and ask to speak with an investigator. UNC Police will inform the necessary University staff of the incident.

If you arc not ready to file a report with law enforcement, you can still call a local law enforcement agency and ask to speak with an investigator to explain what wrould happen if you filed a report and the protective orders that are available.

Report to the University

Where can I go?
  • Report and Response Coordinators
  • Title IX Compliance Coordinator
  • EOC Director
  • EOC Office
What can I expect?

A staff member will contact you to discuss safety concerns, interim protective measures, available resources (e.g., medical care, emotional support), other reporting options (e.g., law enforcement, court orders), and the procedures for addressing the incident at UNC.

The staff member will explain that, under the University’s policy and procedures, you may request (1) an investigation and adjudication, (2) voluntary resolution if available, or (3) that no further action be taken. At the time the report is made to this staff member, you are not required to decide on any particular course of action.

Pursue Court Orders

Where can I go?
  • Gender Violence Services Coordinators
  • Report and Response Coordinators
  • EOC Office
  • Compass Center for Women and Families
  • Orange County Rape Crisis Center
What can I expect?

A conversation about stalking and harassment protective orders, domestic violence protective orders, and other available forms of relief. These contacts can also help connect you to the court system.

When a report is made to the University, a staffperson from the Equal Opportunity Compliance Office will reach out via email to provide support and assistance. At this point, the affected person will have three choices for moving forward: no further action, voluntary resolution, or an investigation and adjudication. There is no requirement to reply to the EOC email. Legal action will only be pursued on behalf of the affected person in extreme cases.

Regardless of who makes the report EOC staff will only contact the affected person and offer support and explain options. This process is designed to provide support while keeping the affected person in control of the situation.

Report to the University

Fill out the Online form with the Equal Opportunity Compliance Office. Below are specific resources and information about making a report to the university.

For all Members of the Campus Community

Director of Title IX Compliance: Adrianne Allison allison@unc.edu, 919-962-7177
Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office, eoc@unc.edu, 919-966-3576, 214 W. Cameron Avenue, Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm.
Director: Brandon Washington brandonw@unc.edu, 919-966-7545

For Graduate Students

Report and Response Coordinators: Ew Quimbaya-Winship, eqw@unc.edu, 919-843-3878; Rebecca Gibson, rmgibson@unc.edu, 919-445-1578; Kathryn Winn, kmwinn@unc.edu, 919-843-2993
Office of the Dean of Students

Report to Police

In an Emergency – CALL 911

Non-Emergency Numbers

UNC Police: 919-962-8100
Chapel Hill Police: 919-968-2760
Carrboro Police: 919-918-7397

Pursue Court Orders

To talk about court orders and other processes, contact the Report and Response Coordinators, which does involve a report to the university, or the Gender Violence Services Coordinators, a confidential resource that does not involve filing a report to the university.

Report and Response Coordinators:

Ew Quimbaya-Winship: 919-843-3878
Rebecca Gibson: 919-445-1578
Kathryn Winn: 919-843-2993
EOC Office 214 W. Cameron Avenue
Monday – Friday from 8am – 5pm

Gender Violence Services Coordinators:

Carolina Women’s Center, 150 South Rd
Cassidy Johnson: 919-962-1343
Holly Lovern: 919-962-7430
Mondays from 1pm – 4pm in Koury Residence Hall
Wednesdays from 10am – 12pm in the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Community Involvement
Thursdays from 3pm – 5pm in the LGBTQ Center

Orange County Rape Crisis Center (OCRCC)

24 Hour Hotline: 866-935-4783
Office Location: 1506 East Franklin St., Suite 200
Office Phone Number: 919-968-4647
OCRCC Office Hours:
Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

Compass Center for Women and Families

24 Hour Hotline: 919-929-7122
Office Location: 210 Henderson St. Chapel Hill, NC
Office Phone number: 919-968-4610
Compass Center Office Hours:
Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm